COVID -19 posed challenges to in-person learning which was suspended for more than half- year in most countries. Learning had to continue but it was not possible since most people had no access to the internet and those who had access to the internet had little or no idea on how to use virtual classrooms to reach their learners or teachers. There is need for a structured way of integrating virtual classroom with in-person learning at all levels of learning. This will go a long way in achieving digital literacy as one of the 21st century skill amongst the people.
Google classroom is an example of a commonly used virtual class. In Google Classroom, teachers are able to conduct teaching/learning activities just like a physical class. As well, learners are able to interact with their teachers by synchronous or asynchronous means.
The following are the simple steps on How to create Google classroom and How to join a Google classroom.
A. How to create a Google Classroom
- Open a Web browser e.g. Google Chrome and search and select classroom.google.com as shown in Figure1.
2. Click the plus sign at the top and choose Create Class as shown in Figure 2. Note that, you have to sign in with your Gmail account or your Google Apps for institution account.
3. Agree to the terms of creating Google Classroom when prompted to do so as shown in Figure3.
4. In the Create a Class dialogue box, complete all the sections and then click create. (See an example in Figure 4 below)
5. Figure 5 shows the created class from the details completed in step 4.
- The class created has 4 main sections, Stream, Classwork, People and Grades. Each section is described below;
Stream: Class assignments and announcements to the class are made here.
Classwork: Assignments are posted here. Click create to add an assignment (See figure 6 below).
People: Here you can add/invite more teachers and students to class (See Figure7). Note that, the invited people must have a Gmail account or an institution e-mail.
Or just click invite to add students (see Figure8).
Grades: Here you are able to grade student’s assignments and make your remarks too.
B: How to Join Google Classroom
- Open a Web browser e.g. Google Chrome and search classroom.google.com as shown in Figure1.
- 2. Note that, you have to sign in with your Gmail account or your Google Apps for institution account. Click the plus sign at the top and choose Join Class as shown in Figure 2.
3. Enter the class code sent to you and join the class (You have to sign in with your Google Apps for Education or institution account).
Alternatively, open the invitation e-mail sent to you and click Join as shown in Figure 3.